Opening the shaver is very easy, using a T8 torx bit, I removed the two screws and the cover can then be carefully removed.
The circuit board and motor assembley are in one piece. You have to lift them out together to avoid damaging the fine copper cable holding them together.
The new battery cost me £8.95 which was cheaper than the £20 – £25 price of a new shaver.
Here is the video from this morning. I hope you find it useful.
In the video, the old battery is in the wrong way, this is because I have already removed it to check for any identification numbers before ordering the replacement. This makes it look that I have installed the new battery the wrong way around, but I haven’t. I had to double check and admit, I confused myself, until I remembered I had already taken out the old one and must have put it back the wrong way without thinking.
If you have any interest in repairing laptop motherboards, you have likely spent many hours watching videos on Youtube. Here the experts with years of experience, are quickly showing how it’s done, with little explanation of what’s really happening.
For the beginner (like me) this can be both fascinating and frustrating. The lack of information aimed at people just starting out, coupled with a steep learning curve is daunting.
Power rails and buck convertors – the penny drops
But, if you watch enough videos the penny drops and things slowly become a little clearer.
Videos on two repair channels really helped me understand why Loius Rossman keeps mentioning PPBUS_G3 HOT in his Macbook repair videos and how buck regulators.
Apparently GHDs are a girl’s best friend, so when my girlfriends pair developed a fault, I had the chance to earn some brownie points, if I could fix them.
One main problem with ealry 4.2 models is the swivel connector. It’s poorly designed, so if you have a pair that is crackling and popping, then you probably have an old model and you should have the cable and socket upgraded.
Another simple fix is either replacing the temperature fuse and / or the heating elements. I tested both using a multimeter, the fuse (brown wires) showed it had continuity and the element (clear wires) gave a reading of around 60 Ohms.
With the fuse and both elements checked, I moved onto the R11 and R8 resistors. R8 was working but R11 didn’t give any reading.
I choose to replace both resistors with new ‘Melf Resistor 50/47 Ohm’.
Sadly it didn’t go as planned and I burnt off one of the pads. Luckily it was pad closest to the screw terminal, so it was a simple case of creating a small jumper wire from the screw terminal to the resistor.
Success. With the new mains cable and resistors the GHD straighters are working.
The mains cable cost £11.49 and the resistors were £1.99 for 10. When you consider a new pair of GHDs are priced at over £100, spending less than £15 to attempt a fix has been well worth the effort.
This is a series of posts where I’ll be stripping down and cleaning an Helvetia gents watch.
Being my first attempt at horology, I don’t expect things to go straight forward but let’s give it a go.
Here are the tools i’ll be using for the project.
Basic watch movement holder
0.8mm, 1mm, 1.2mm precision screwdrivers
Step 1 sees the movement removed from the case, there’s normally small hole to release the winder (crown), the pointers are removed next and finally the watch face itself. You’re left with the movement, ready to be dismantled.